I’ve thought about this in the past and just got reminded of it again today. I thought I would share some thoughts on it.
I was looking at jobs today in the creative field. Mostly for sh*ts and giggles but you never know. Anyhow I like how these employers write these requirements. They read like they are looking for superman. Disclaimer: I have not lived in one of the three major cities in China. Beijing, Shanghai, or Guangzhou. I’ve lived close to Guangzhou but not actually in it. So I really don’t know if what I am about to say is true. However, I can speculate a little from what I do know and what I have personally seen.
Take for instance this job titled: Gallery Manager.
So the requirements:
- Must sell art, follow up, and maintain relationships with collectors around the world
- Always available to travel around the world
- Will be required to handle extremely tough negotiations with suppliers, shippers, and temporary services in the Shanghai economy.
- Well-studied in Chinese art history and Chinese art techniques
- Can write fluidly about contemporary and traditional art
- The applicant should be Singaporean. Mandarin should be the mother-tongue and English should be fluent
- Takes care in physical appearances
- 3 years minimum experience in the art field
- Strong leadership; Electric social skills; Very detailed
- Polished, polite, and quick
So not bad right. You are a sales person and are required to act as such. But you also have to negotiate. Fine. Sounds good.
But really. They need a Singaporean that speaks mandarin, and is fluent in English. Has studied Chinese art history and techniques. Also has already had three years experience, and is willing to travel around the world and can write about art with no problem.
Wow. I don’t know how many people fit this. There are about 100,000 foreigners in Shanghai that are not American, Taiwanese, or Japanese. So, uh, out of say 100,000 people you need one that fits above. And then that person has to be Singaporean. I do realize that if a person read this job add they could move from say Beijing to Shanghai, but that doesn’t always happen. So really, personally, it’s going to be slim pickings for this company. But really, I don’t know. I could be totally wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.
How about this one: Graphic and web Designer.
______ seek a Graphic & Web Designer to join their Shanghai team. The successful candidate will work across the three companies three brands: design and architectural branch, _____; sport and fashion/ product design company Nautisail; and Beyond Water, a well established design company with strong expertise in waterfront developments. Responsibilities will include:
- Design web and print material which are effectively in tune with brand identity, both internally and externally and including the production of pamphlets, brochures, newsletters, stands, websites, e-mail marketing campaigns and other online vehicles as assigned such as blogs and social media tools
- Contribute to the development of storyboards and prototypes for planned site enhancements, new site development and special projects related to _____’s web presence and propose solutions to enhance the user experience in different languages and technologies for improved site development productivity and/or presentation
- Coordinate with suppliers to concept, design and define code enhancements for improved site development productivity and/or presentation
- Manage design changes to the websites and design elements with development projects for web media
- Identify and troubleshoot Search Engine Optimization issues with Content Management Systems (CMS) and other dynamically generated websites
- Support web analytics and search marketing reporting
- Work closely with marketing and communications manage
- PC experience preferred
- Bachelor or Master Degree in graphic design and/or web development or related field
- Chinese native speakers are strongly preferred
- Able to communicate in office working language of English
(both written and oral skills are demanded)
Alright let’s break this down. They need a web designer for, what I am guessing is foreign products. You have to design all the things listed. Then you have to be in touch with suppliers to design etc for site development. SEO related items, which I must say are mostly in English. Work with marketing and communications departments. Work on PC. have a BA or Masters. Have to read and write English.
Ok really? You have to be Chinese. Have a Masters or BA in design and read and write English. Now, again I admit I don’t really know but to me that seems a little out there. I personally have not met any creative Chinese people. Well, one maybe. I’ve met awesome Koreans and Japanese but no native Chinese creatives that were actually creative. Again, I don’t get out much soo… Not to mention that if they are designing for a foreign market, well, that seems a little illogical doesn’t it.
Maybe there are people out there right now that fit this bill. BUT then why the hell did you post this on an English job site. Really. For real. This job site is entirely in English and as far as I know does not take job posting from other places. You actually have to go here and fill in the information. I bet the company doesn’t know where to find a Chinese job site to post this on. Maybe they do and just thought that they would post it on an English on for good measure. Beats me. I find it interesting. Maybe they are just aiming high. Probably.
And the last one I randomly chose to post here and comment on.
Chinese Mandarin – 中文 – Basic
English – 英文 – FluentJob DetailsDesign Director工作职责:
- Provide creative design solutions in conceptual design stage.- Able to use sketch or CAD to fully express design ideas.
- Good communication skills.
- Profound knowledge on construction of projects.
- Able to work independently.
- Design team leading ability is preferred.
Degree above on Architect、Inner Design、environment art design, or related major. 建筑、室内、环境艺术设计或其他相关专业本科及以上学历。
Minimum 7 years experience in design. 主创设计师至少7年的设计经验。
Creative design solutions. 极富创意的设计方案。
Rich project design experience, good communication skills. 丰富的项目经验，良好的沟通技巧
At least 3 years’ experience in China Architect、Inner Architect design or inner design project is a must. Familiar with China local planning codes / Design market will be priority. 至少拥有三年的中国国内建筑设计、室内设计项目的经验，熟悉中国当地规划模式，了解中国当地设计市场者优先。
Fluent English is preferred. 英语流利者。